Friday, April 15, 2011

Swan Thieves by E. Kostova - some spoilers p2

So now I'm to page... 424 out of 564 or something. I'm getting much closer to the ending, and thus far my suspicions have all been confirmed - Robert is obsessed with Beatrice and dreams of her; Marlow is also becoming slightly obsessed, and I suppose we are all supposed to understand why all the men in the (Oliver, Robert, even Marlow) are falling into this deep strange love with her.
At this point, I think Mary is a replacement for Beatrice to Robert. Their correspondence and the development of their relationship mirror so closely that of Oliver's and Beatrice's that I'm not even sure Robert sees Mary - I think she is a symbol to him, a means to become a little closer to Beatrice.
I'm at work right now, but let me jot down my thoughts to expand on later:
>> I like Mary; she is a contra to Kate - she is alone and somewhat worships her loneliness and individuality. He admiration for Robert is very real and makes me more and more into her; She stared out spunky, strange - but as she talks about herself and Robert - she becomes close to actual experiences of somewhat un - reciprocated love.
>> I don't like that both Kate and Mary start feeling real only when talk about their relationship to Robert; I don't like that a man is needed to make them real. In that sense, since Beatrice is more about painting, and not quite about love - all the men around her are in love with her, thus she needs not really depend on them, she is the only one who is real all the time. I wonder if this is on purpose;
>> I still don't understand why Beatrice has nightmares of embracing Oliver's wife at her death; is this guilt? Is this a strange love?

No comments:

Post a Comment